Friday, August 03, 2007

PROGRESS REPORT #4 ENJOYING THE SUNSHINE!

"When the sun shineth, make hay."
John Heywood 1497- 1580 "Proverbs" 1546

As the song goes: "Summertime and the livin' is easy..." So I've been enjoying it while I can. This past week the weather has been glorious here on the Pacific Northwest Coast, and one must take advantage of it. (Yes, already today it's cloudy again!). Therefore, this past week I've been making the most out of it while I can. I haven't been a slouch as far as my writing program is concerned though, and have managed to make notes and today finished another short passage of a chapter segment.

Monday I took time off after note-taking, to visit a friend of mine, Tom, who had been recovering from a throat cancer operation only to discover he had breast cancer. He's been a good friend of mine for years and in spite of his difficulties he's an 'up' person, great fighting spirit, and we had a good time together looking at my trip photos and talking. Later I went to my friend MJ's for another of her gourmet meals, this time Italian. Yummy!

The city workers are still on strike, meaning the outdoor pools and parks are closed as well as libraries and other services. (There's no end in sight either so the summer activities are ruined for everyone.) Still, I manage to get out for walks and to spend some time with my friends. Tuesday was my monthly lunch date with my grad. class ladies. Wednesday I went shopping with another friend and later that evening took in some jazz on the Drive with my Havana Buddy.

Yesterday (Thursday) I didn't take time to do any work (notes or otherwise) on Shadow, but instead I met a friend in the Park for a lovely picnic and later a swim. Brrrr! The water was cold but refreshing. (It ain't the Mediterranean!) Later in the evening I had my first writer's workshop at home. Five women came and there'll be three more next week. I do some instruction, critiquing, and discussion (all genres). Last night we did some exercises on "place" and "characters in that place". It's a very dynamic and enthusiastic group. I've done the in-home workshops before and found them successful and it helps keep me focused on my own writing as well.

So today, Friday, I got down to business putting my notes together and finished another chapter segment of Shadow of the Lion.

I've reached another point where I'm getting into the politics of the times and it gets pretty convoluted so I need to spend time sorting through research notes and deciding which parts to dramatize and which to just mention in narrative. Things are coming to a head in Macedon and the future doesn't look too rosy. But, at the moment, Olympias is in control of things. So the next few chapters will be fun to write. Because I have chosen to write this novel in a multiple point of view it sometimes complicates things and I have to remember not to leave anyone out in the wings for too long. Have to keep the major actors on the stage!

It's Friday. I have some appointments to keep in the afternoon and tonight I will go salsa dancing. But for now, it's back to the books and drawing up the battle plans!

Have a good weekend everyone!

"Summer afternoon -- summer afternoon: to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language."
Henry James 1843- 1916
Quoted by Edith Wharton "A Backward Glance" 1934 ch 10




3 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

LOl, I must be a true descendant of the German barbarians because I like cold water a lot more than the bathtub that is the Mediterranean. :)

Anonymous said...

Do you have time for a rest! You have a fulfilled life, lots going on and your classes sound like something I'd love to take part in.

Crystal xx

Wynn Bexton said...

More fun. Even though I'm 'over the hill' it hasn't deterred me
from being the wild party girl.

Cloudy today though. So time to get back to serious business!