Monday, July 21, 2008

PROGRESS REPORT # 38 : BACK TO NOTES AND EDITING


REFLECTIONS ON THE LAGOON

I've been enjoying some quiet leisure time in between all the business. But this week I'm back to notes and editing again, during the early daytime anyway, though I hate to miss any of this glorious, hot, summer weather.

I took my own advice, though, and have taken a few days where I go to the park or beach and spend time meditation. My favorite thing to do is head for Stanley Park, walk through the park gardens and along the Lost Lagoon trail to the beach. I usually take my camera along and have been collecting some beautiful photographs of the park's flora and fauna which I will post from time to time, here and on my other two blogs.


MY FAVORITE SWIMMING PLACE

Here's Second beach where I usually go swimming. The pool is large so it never gets too crowded, especially as I usually go later in the afternoon and stay til early evening. Then I walk along the seawall back to the buses on busy Denman St. Always lots going on down around English Bay.

I find that being in the water or by the water helps me quieten my mind and focus on the things I want to think about such as my writing. And if I am concerned about something (such as I've been the past week) it helps me sort out my thoughts, priorities and calm down. What bothered me last week was the news that the Mighty G. , Lord of the Web, has removed the ads from my blogs and website -- just when I was making a little to cover the cost of paying writers and web master. They didn't say why. Just "suspicious activity". I can only guess. It's like being charged with a crime you have no idea what you committed. I kind of think it might be that too many clicks were showing up from well-meaning friends who wanted to help things along. Anyway, I have appealed and will wait awhile before enforcing Plan B. A weekend away this week really helped me sort out my thoughts on this and now use dwelling on it.

Lots of other things going on as well. Last week was the yearly gala of the B.C.Travel Writer's Association. (No, I didn't win a thing although I was vying for the 4 days in Istanbul. Oh well...) And then I went to the Island for this weekend for a reunion picnic with my cousins. Next weekend is the Summer Dreams Festival (put on by Pandora's Poetry Collective) in Stanley Park. I'll be helping out with that and was supposed to do a workshop at it but so far noone has registered. At any rate, it will be a lovely day in the park with poets and other spoken word writers.

And...to put the icing on the cake...I got offered yet another "Life Writing" job, this time at another Community Centre. Previously I was given the job of Life Writer for a prestigious group at a centre called Brock House which is mainly retired university people. I'll write more about these later as they don't start up until September and are only 2 hrs once a week. But it's more feathers in my literary cap which pleases me.



BEERS WITH PEERS

Along with all this, I've been enjoying some fun with friends, and, as I said ...in the Park or by the ocean. The weather has been to incredible to stay indoors all day long tied to the computer. But, starting this morning I am back a t work on SHADOW again, making notes and doing some editing. I have some fragments of a new chapter started and want to carry on with it, not lose momentum like I did a few weeks ago. I also managed to finish another piece for my travel blog (see it at
http://travelthroughhistory.blogspot.com Titled "The Ecstacy of Food".
And...just found out another story is being published on-line (for pay!!) about Monamvasia, a Byzantine treasure in the Peloponnese.
Check it out at www.intheknowtraveler.com/2704
Oh yes, and I even prepared two blurbs for travel stories on Venice and Chile for that travel website syndicate that invited me to join. Now I have to write the stories and it doesn't pay peanuts but at least I'll have them done. Been procrastinating about that far too long now.

So now...back to SHADOW OF THE LION...setting up the scene for the big kill!
BACK SOON...
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the visit and the comment. I know Vancouver well - and will be back there next month. Stanley Park is great.

Congratulations on the life writer duties. That's wonderful.....

Marie said...

Congratulations on the writing jobs. Lovely photos.

Meghan said...

Congrats on the jobs! And I'm glad to hear your back to work on your novel. Can't wait for it to be finished. :)

Adrian Swift said...

Wynn, your photos are lovely. Glad that you are getting so much out of your summer. Congratulations on all the teaching jobs! That's really impressive. And, to top it all off, you're back to work on your novel again! That's terrific.

Best wishes for all your many projects,

Adrian

Wynn Bexton said...

Thanks everyone for your support and encouraging comments. Yes, I am really trying to focus on finishing this novel and disciplining myself more. The hot, sunny weather is tempting but I try to make my excursions to the beach and park later in the day and work during the hours of 11am - 4 pm which I always found my best writing time during the periods I was living/writing in Greece. Slowly I'm drawing this mega-project to a close...