Monday, January 28, 2008

TRAVEL THRU HISTORY

Trekking in Morocco

This post is to announce the official launching of my new travel website,
TRAVEL THRU HISTORY.

Check it out at www.travelthruhistory.com

It's a new site for new writers and aside from a couple of my stories, the others are written by people who have taken my travel writing classes. It has been difficult for freelancers lately, with the larger newspapers not accepting much freelance travel, and a lot of the smaller publications on such tight budgets they aren't able to pay much if anything. Most of the travel zines on-line are free. They want you to give them stories (for their own profit) and I was getting tired of submitting in this way. In fact, last summer I was getting mighty discouraged about the whole business of travel journalism and considered quitting it. But I can't. I teach travel writing so how could I quit? And I was becoming aware that my discouragement was affecting students in my classes. What to do? Well, this is it. A leap of faith to be sure and a bit of an 'investment' on my part, as well as some blatant self-promotion. But it's mainly a chance to see that some of the talented writers I know have another place to submit where they'll get paid a small honorarium for their efforts. This way people can qualify to join the travel writing association and have a reference for other publishers. And hopefully, if enough people click the google ads, it will start to generate a little bit of pay-back for me as well.

I am pleased and excited over the site. My friend Paul, the web master, has done a really excellent job of setting it up for me and I'm very grateful. It's opened up some new doors, possibilities for me and I'm excited about that too. And I love being an 'editor' too!


Caerphilly Castle, Caerphilly Wales

So take a look, and tell me what you think. And watch for new stories to appear soon.
I'm accepting contributions and have requested some particular stories from some writers I know on subjects that aren't frequently written about. By having a focus on historical/archaeological; culture; art/literary trips; exotic adventures and travel memoirs I think the site will be well received and make some interesting reading.


Vaulted Street, Naxos Greece


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love it! Looks great, very professional, and I like the interesting take on things. Not the shallow "party" or "tourist" approach, but a more insightful look at things. I certainly hope this will catch on! I'll be sure to promote it on my blog and web site.

Congratulations!

Wynn Bexton said...

Thanks Adrian. Yes this is an exciting new adventure for me and already I'm getting lots of positive feed-back and accolades. I was lucky to have the help of a very good web designer and without his help I don't know if I could have done it. And yes, I am not tackling the usual 'tourist' approach. I wanted something more meaningful so I am encouraging people to send in stories focusing on the subjects I have chosen to highlight. I want this to really be a 'travel thru history'.