Monday, December 18, 2006

CHRISTMAS STORY #8: THE CHRISTMAS COOKIE TREE

"On the first day of Christmas,
my true love gave to me
a partridge in a pear tree...."

This was a special Christmas tree that was particularly unique for it's delicious decorations (which were enjoyed by all, including the resident mice!) This year's special Christmas decorations are some I bought in Chile and Argentina. They grace my mantle making a lovely addition to my decor: a small clay nativity scene of Mapucho Indians and a little glass angel from the craft market in Mendoza Argentina. My friend Judy also gave me a cranberry coloured crystal to hang in my window. My apartment is looking very festive!

"THE CHRISTMAS COOKIE TREE"
Christmas is always a special time in our house, and decorating the tree is part of the fun. In my box of decorations are little baubles collected over the years, including the ceramic bells my children got from Santa at one of the Department stores when they were very little. The decoration box also includes a special ornament I buy each Christmas as a memory.

One year, though, we had quite a different tree. I was living in a house with my daughter and two other young women. That year we decided to decorate the tree with sugar-cookies. It was to be a contest. Each of us would make and decorate sugar-cookies and the most creative ones would be the winner. I can't remember what the prizes were but I do remember all the fun we had baking and decorating our cookies.

The tree decorations that year were unusual (as well as edible). The best (winning) cookies were saved and wrapped in tissue paper to hang the following year as a memento. Unfortunately, though, by the time the next Christmas came around, our decoration box had been discovered by mice who had themselves a very tasty feast on our 'edible' decorations.

"'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
not a creature was stirring -- not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there...."
Clement Charles Moore 1779-1863 "A Visit from St. Nick" Dec 1823

No comments: