Sunday, September 04, 2011

DELPHI'S MAGIC

Note:  Almost every time I visit Greece I make a pilgrimage to Delphi.  But this poem is written about my very first visit there, when I spent the night on the mountainside with a friend.  Delphi is one of the most sacred places on Earth and the ancient Greeks actually considered it the 'navel of the earth', with a carved navel stone to symbolize this.

The Temple of Apollo, Delphi


Delphi's Magic

To Kos

I remember how you stole
pomegranates from a tree
and put them on the stone ledge
with the grapes,
sweet grapes from Delphi’s vines.

We stumbled down
Parnassus’ rocky slope
clambered over
shrubs and granite
to find a place to sleep
beneath the stars.
and laid among the holly oaks.




Silver lights winked
from the edge of the distant sea
We would not know til morning
that we had made our bed
on the chasm’s edge.




In night’s chill
we warmed each other
The full moon shone on us
We watched meteors
shower golden trails
across the heavens.

We felt the presence of the gods
understood the mystery
that brings men to this
Sacred shrine.

I keep these memories
forever in my heart
And every trip I make
to Delphi
I remember you,
and the full moon,
and how we were enchanted
by Delphi’s magic.                              





W. Ruth Kozak

Delphi, Greece  1982


2 comments:

Debra Young said...

"Silver lights winked from the edge of the distant sea
We would not know til morning
that we had made our bed
on the chasm’s edge."

This is my favorite stanza in a beautifully composed poem.

Wynn Bexton said...

thanks for your comment. I appreciate knowing if the poetry 'works' or not. This was a very old one recently resurrected from my files.