There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, January 20, 2013

WHERE IS THE MUSE?

Add to Technorati Favorites



MIDNIGHT MUSE

My Muse comes after midnight

nudges me awake.

Whispers urgently,

“Get up! Write!”

I curse her,

stumble across the dark room,

search for matches,

light the candle wick.

Where has she been in the daylight?

How many hours did I wait for her

listening for her voice?

“Where where you?” I ask.

“Was it your voice I heard

while I daydreamed in the sun?

Or was it only the sound of

of sheep bells on the mountain?”

“Write!” she demands. “Write!”

If I wait til morning

the words she whispers to me

will be extinguished

like this candle flame.

Written while living in a shepherd’s cottage , Lala, Euboeia, Greece.
 
I seem to be having a problem connecting with the Muse these days. 
Very frustrating, when there is so much work to do. But I have felt unsatisfied with what I've already written for "Dragons in the Sky" other than those very early chapters written in the beginning. So I am trying to conjure the Muse's help.
 
Meanwhile I'm reading a very good book "Song for Achilles" that seems to be inspiring me. It's written first person narrative and in a very lyrical style, like Dragons. So perhaps I can capture the cadence again and smooth out what I've written which, to me, seems a bit stilted and phony — "made up" instead of flowing in a natural narrative. 
 
I've also go to sort out all the research notes I took which are not in any particular order and slow me down when I'm looking for things. And, I need to learn more about the herbs and spells and magic things so I can add more of those ingredients to my story.
 
So, I call on you Muse, to please come and inspire me! I'm waiting....

 

No comments: